Notifications are alerts that there is activity or someone has mentioned you in the feed. There are a few ways that notifications work in Teams and you have options to customize what you will receive and how.
By default, you will only receive a notification when:
- Someone mentions you in a post
- Mentions the whole team
- You choose to follow a channel for all updates.
Set Notification Preferences
From Settings, you can change email, banner, and feed preferences :
- Click on your profile in the upper-right corner of the Teams window.
- Click on Settings. [see screenshot]
- Select Notifications and choose your preferences.
From the Channel, you can change banner and feed preferences. Email preference is not an option here:
- Hover over channel, then click on More options [...] to the right of your channel. [see screenshot]
- Click on Channel Notifications and choose your preferences.
Mention a person or team
When posting in a channel, use the "@" symbol followed by the name of a person, channel, or the name of the team. This will send a notification to that person or team based on their preferences. [see screenshot]
By default, all channels in your team are visible, allowing you to receive channel notifications. If a channel is not relevant to your work, you can hide the channel:
- Hover over channel, then click on More options [...] to the right of the channel.
- Click on Hide channel. [see screenshot]
Your hidden channels will be condensed under Hidden channels in your list, but will remain available if you want to bring them back at a later time. Once you hide a channel or team, you will no longer receive notifications until you bring them back.
To bring the channel back:
- Hover over Hidden channel and click on the arrow > to the right of your channel.
- Click on the team you want to Show. [see screenshot]