Create an Online Document
Word documents can be created directly from OneDrive for Business and will automatically save as you edit. For help with OneDrive, please see the OneDrive pages.
- Sign in to mycommunity.ku.edu and open OneDrive.
- Click New and select Word document. [see screenshot]
- To rename the document, click the default name and type a new one. [see screenshot]
Editing Online Documents
Word documents can be edited using Word Online or the full version of Word installed on your computer. Word Online does not have the full range of options that the full version of Word offers.
- Sign in to mycommunity.ku.edu and open OneDrive
- Locate the file and click the name
- Make your edits. If you are not able to make edits, you may be in read-only mode. Click Edit Document followed by Edit in Word Online. [see screenshot]
- All changes are saved automatically as you work.
With Word Online, multiple people can make changes simultaneously. You will see changes in real-time as long as everyone is using Word Online. [see screenshot]
Full Version of Word
- While viewing the document in Word Online, click Open in Word. [see screenshot]
- Changes must be saved manually before closing the document.
In the full version of Word, you are not able to make changes simultaneously. Changes must be saved before others will be able to see them.
Share a Document
Once created, documents can be shared with others both internal and external to KU. You can decide if people will receive read-only access or the ability to make edits.
To share a document:
- Open the document and click Share.
- Type in the last name (if internal person) or email address of those you wish to invite to the document. You can also get a link to copy and send to your contacts.
- Select the permission level from the dropdown menu on the right.
- Click Share.