Create an Online Document
To create new files in SharePoint, navigate to the document library where you want the file stored.
To create new files in OneDrive for Business, sign in to office365.ku.edu and open OneDrive.
- Click +New from the menu and select Word document. [see screenshot]
- To rename the document, click the default name and type a new one. [see screenshot]
- Online files save automatically. Be sure to wait until the document has completed saving before closing out. [see screenshot]
Editing Online Documents
Word documents can be edited using Word Online or the full version of Word installed on your computer. Word Online does not have the full range of options that the full version of Word offers.
- Sign in to office365.ku.edu and open OneDrive.
- Locate the file and click the name.
- Make your edits. If you are not able to make edits, you may be in read-only mode. Click Edit Document followed by Edit in Word Online. [see screenshot]
- All changes are saved automatically as you work.
With Word Online, multiple people can make changes simultaneously. You will see changes in real-time as long as everyone is using Word Online. [see screenshot]
Full Version of Word
- While viewing the document in Word Online, click Open in Desktop App located under the document title. [see screenshot]
- Changes can be saved manually or you may select AutoSave at the top-left area of your document. Click on the button next to AutoSave to toggle On or Off. [screenshot]
In the full version of Word, you are not able to make changes simultaneously. Changes must be saved before others will be able to see them.
Share a Document
Once created, documents can be shared with others both internal and external to KU. You can decide if people will receive read-only access or the ability to make edits.
Go to our Sharing Files page to step-by-step processes about how to share a file, stop sharing, setting edit and download permissions, and secure sharing.