Microsoft Bookings is an online scheduling service in Office 365 that allows users to make online appointments with you and your team.
Two ways to get to Bookings:
- Sign in to office365.ku.edu and select the App Launcher (waffle icon) in the top-left.
Select the Bookings icon.
- Go to bookings.office.com and sign in from there.
First time accessing Bookings:
- Select Get it now, then fill in your "business" name with your department, center, organization or your name if the Booking page is just for you. The name you choose for your Booking page will also be the URL, so consider a short, but descriptive title.
- Provide a name and optional description.
- Select Continue > OK.
To create additional, new Bookings pages, go to space below the logo at the top-left, select the down arrow, then select New to create new Bookings page for you or your department.
Set Up Booking Page
Use the links in the left navigation to set up your Bookings content.
Add contact information, URLs, logo, and set business hours. If this is for your own bookings page, you can set your hours here. If this is for multiple staff, set your business hours; individual staff can set their own hours under the Staff link.
If this is a departmental account, you’ll need to add staff, additional contact information, and hours of availability if different from Business hours.
- Choose the Staff link in the left navigation.
- Select +Add Staff at the top of your view.
- Select their role located below the Phone number field.
- Guests cannot open the bookings mailbox.
- Visitors have read-only access.
- Administrators can edit all settings. Find more information about roles on the Microsoft support site.
- Add their contact information. If a staff member’s hours are different from business hours, deselect box next to Use business hours and define hours. Staff given an Administrator role can edit their own availability, as well.
- To edit or delete a staff member, select the name of the staff member to bring up options in the top menu.
If you provide more than one type of service, you can create them here. When users set meetings with staff in your organization, they will first select the service they need. Example of services might include project consultation, meeting, advising appointment, presentation, etc.
- Go to Services in the left navigation.
- Select +Add a service at the top of the screen.
- Name your service.
- Set your default duration.
- Buffer time refers to any time before of after your meeting that you will need for set up, walking or travel time between appointments, etc.
- Allowing customers to manage their bookings will give them options in the confirmation email of rescheduling or cancelling without having to contact you. Their selections will be reflected in your calendar.
- Add email reminder with customized text, if applicable.
- Uncheck Online Scheduling options to customize additional options, such as designating how much advanced notice you need for the service (i.e. hour before, 24 hours before, etc.).
- Customize hours for this service if different than regular business hours.
- Assign specific staff members to the service or leave it open to all staff.
- You can copy or share a link to the service or use the link from the Booking page for all services.
Publish your page using the Save and Publish link at the top of your view. After you publish, a link will be generated that you can copy and send to users, post to social media, link or embed on your webpage.
All bookings scheduled will populate in your Bookings calendar as well as your Outlook calendar. Both calendars will show names of those who scheduled the meeting and any answers to questions you asked in the Service EXCEPT for group appointments.
For group appointments, you will need to use the Bookings calendar to view all who have scheduled an appointment.
Answers to Common Issues
- Be sure to select staff for a given service or they will not appear during scheduling.
- If you create a session that allows only one person, you cannot add another person to the meeting by sending them the link.
- After you save a service, you cannot change from one person maximum to more than one person. If you want to the service to be for a group, you will need to recreate it.
- Names of attendees for individual sessions will appear in your Outlook calendar, but not for group sessions. To find attendees names for group meetings, go to the calendar in Bookings.
- To use Zoom instead of Teams for online meetings, toggle Add online meeting to off and paste the Zoom link and password in the Additional Information for Email Confirmation field.
- Students can be added as staff in Bookings, but they don't have access to manage their booking.
- If you get two email notifications, go to Bookings page > Default Scheduling Policy > deselect the checkbox Notify the business via email when a booking is created.