Tasks by Planner is a web-based tool designed to create, assign, and oversee delegated tasks. Tasks by Planner can be used on its own or it can be integrated with other Microsoft products, so owners in Microsoft Teams and SharePoint can create plans within those applications.
Join Teams for Microsoft 365 Updates & New Features
Updates and new features for Microsoft 365 apps can be found in our public team, KU Teams User Group. A channel in this team is dedicated to Microsoft 365 apps. Members are invited to ask questions and share information.
- Go to Teams
- Select Join or Create a Team
- All public teams will be listed in the interface
- Select KU Teams User Group
If you need assistance joining the team, reach out to us at email@example.com and we will add you to this team.
Task by Planner vs. To Do
What’s the difference between To Do and Planner? How do I know which one to use?
To Do is for Personal Tasks
- Create daily and/or ongoing tasks
- Organize tasks in list and categories
- Integrates with Outlook and Teams
- Attach files to task
- Can view flagged emails as tasks
- Can also view Planner tasks in To Do app
- Can share list with others to have them items
Planner is for Group Work
- Create tasks and assign to those who are members of the Plan
- Can organize into buckets (categories)
- Card view, calendar view, and progress status
- Attach files to tasks
- Task reminders are emailed to the assigned member
- Integrates with Outlook and Teams
How to Access Planner
You can access Tasks by Planner from the Office 365 landing page, Microsoft Teams, and SharePoint.
From Office 365 landing page
- Log into Office 365 landing page.
- Select the Planner app.
If you don't see Planner listed, select the App Launcher (waffle icon) in the top-left.
- Select the add sign + in the tabs area.
- Choose Tasks by Planner from the list of apps.
The icon looks different than the icon in the apps landing page.
You can view all of your Tasks for Planner and To Dos in Teams.
- Select the More options [...] in the left apps bar.
- Select Tasks for Planner.
- If Tasks for Planner is not showing, you can begin typing in the search field to find.
This will bring up all of your tasks and to dos you created in Outlook, Teams, Planner, etc.
- Select +New in menu from the homepage.
- Choose Plan.
Once you have created a plan, select Add task. From here, you can create task name, set due date, assign a person/people to the task. If the Plan is integrated with Teams or SharePoint, only those in the Office 365 group will be added to the Plan.
For additional options, select on the task card to expand.
- Options include change bucket lists, progress, priority, notes, attachments, comments.
- Add checklist items: In expanded card under Checklist, select Add an item to rename > press the return key. If you want to view and manage the checklist on the outside of the card, select Show on card.
Colored labels can be assigned an show on the outside of the card for easy designation. You cannot get to the labels from the expanded card, so start from the condensed card.
- Hover over card and select the More options [...] in the top right corner.
- Select Label.
- Selected a color.
- Once the color appears on card, double click the card to expand.
- To give your label a name, select the color you want to rename.
Remove and Delete Plans
Remove a Plan from the Planner app
Note: Deleting a plan will delete all tasks and contents associated with the Plan and cannot be restored.
- Log in to office65.ku.edu and select the Planner app.
- Choose the plan you want to delete.
- From the top menu to the right of Schedule, select ellipses […] to reveal a dropdown menu.
- Select Plan Settings.
- Select Delete this plan in small print at bottom of Settings panel.
- Select the box to show you understand you will lose all content associated with this Plan.
- Select Delete.
Remove a Planner Tab from Teams
To remove the Planner tab
- Select the tab.
- Select the down arrow to reveal the menu.
- Select Remove, then select Remove from the next window.
To permanently delete the plan with all associated tasks, select the box, then select Remove.
Remove a Plan from SharePoint
Currently, the only way to delete a plan created from SharePoint is through the Planner app.
- Filter: You can manage your tasks through the Filter and Group by Bucket filters at the top-right of your screen.
- Schedules: At the top-left of your screen, you have tools that will give you a view of the progress of the tasks you manage as well as see a calendar view of due dates for all of the tasks you assigned.
- Charts: View the progress of tasks at a glance.
Add a Plan to Outlook Calendar
Add a Plan to Outlook
You can add a plan to your Outlook your calendar, which will show under Other Calendar in the left pane:
- Open the your plan from the Planner app on the office365 landing page at office365.ku.edu.
- Select the More options [...] in the top menu to the right of Schedule.
- Select Add plan to Outlook calendar.
- Select the radio button next to Publish, then select Add to Outlook.
Remove plan from Outlook
To remove a plan from your Outlook calendar, follow the steps above, but select the radio button next to Don't publish, keep private.
Technical Support: firstname.lastname@example.org | 785-864-8080
Schedule an Overview or Training Support: email@example.com | 785-864-5155