When you create a team site, it comes with one document library. Additional document libraries can be added as needed, which is useful when a group of documents needs different permissions than another group.
How to add a document library:
- Click the +New icon in the top menu and select Document library.
- Type in the name for the library and choose whether or not to have a link to the library in the site navigation. [see screenshot]
- If you deselect Show in site navigation, you will find the list in Site Contents [Settings > Site contents].
- Start adding columns and documents as needed.
How to add columns to a document library:
- Open the document library
- Click on + Add column. [see screenshot]
- Select the type of field you need.
- Give the column a name and description then click Save. [see screenshot]
How to add folders and files:
- Open the library and click +New then select a file or folder. [see screenshot]
- Next to +New, click Upload to add individual files or folders from your computer.
- Drag and drop files or folders from your computer into the library. [see screenshot]
- To locate the menu to move the document, view version history, etc., hover your mouse over the document and click the More options [...] icon. [see screenshot]
Create a custom view of a library:
Document libraries offer the ability to sort and filter based on your columns. Custom views are a way to save those filtering conditions for easy access.
- Sort items together by clicking on column header and selecting Ascending or Descending.
- Open the filter panel by clicking on the funnel icon and select the desired filter options which are based on your columns. [see screenshot]
- Click on the All Documents from the top-right gray bar and select Save view as. [see screenshot]
- Give the custom view a name. Check the box for public view if you want the view to be available to all users of the site. [see screenshot]
- Click Save.
- The view is now available to use anytime from the view panel of that document library.