Create an Online Workbook
Excel workbooks can be created directly from OneDrive online and will automatically save as you work. For help with OneDrive, please see the OneDrive pages.
- Sign in to mycommunity.ku.edu and open your OneDrive
- Click New and select Excel Workbook. [see screenshot]
- To rename the workbook, click the default name and type a new one. [see screenshot]
Share Online Workbooks
Once created, workbooks can be shared with others both internal and external to KU. You can decide if people will receive read-only access or editing options to the file.
To share the workbook:
- While viewing the workbook, click the green Share button. [view screenshot]
- Select if anyone with the link can access, just people at KU, or only specific people by clicking the first option. [see screenshot]
- Check the box if people will be allowed to make edits and enter a date if you want their access to expire; then click Apply. [see screenshot]
- Enter the names (if at KU) or email addresses of those you are inviting. Add an optional message to include in the email.
- Click Send.
Workbooks can be edited with either Excel Online or the full-version of Excel installed on your computer. Excel Online does not have the full range of options that the full-version of Excel offers.
- Sign in to mycommunity.ku.edu and open OneDrive
- Locate the file and click the name
- Make your edits. If you are not able to make edits, you may be in read-only mode. Click Edit Workbook followed by Edit in Excel Online. [see screenshot]
- All changes are saved automatically as you work.
With Excel Online, multiple people can make changes simultaneously. You will see changes in real-time as the others are working as long as everyone is using Excel Online.
- While viewing the workbook in Excel Online, click Edit in Excel. [see screenshot]
- Changes must be saved manually before closing the workbook.
In the full-version of Excel, you are not able to make changes simultaneously. Changes must be saved before others will be able to see them.